Finding the all-time VPN for torrenting can exist challenging simply considering nigh VPN services suffer from diverse problems. And if y’all are using a VPN to torrent files online, the last matter you demand is problems with your VPN connectedness.
When information technology comes to finding a VPN for torrenting, these bug can be annoying and potentially dangerous, putting y’all at risk:
- Many popular VPN services
leak IP addresses and/or DNS requests. This tin can expose your identity to third parties, such as copyright trolls, media companies, and law firms, which may sue y’all for copyright violations.
- About VPNs are
slow with torrenting. Slow and inconsistent torrent speeds tin be frustrating when using a VPN.
US-based VPNs are blocking torrents, or even shutting down, later getting sued past copyright holders in Us courts. A prominent instance of this is with TorGuard blocking all torrents on The states servers.
Media companies are increasingly monitoring torrent traffic and collecting IP addresses from torrent swarms. Depending on where you alive, yous may receivecopyright violation notices
from your internet provider, or peradventure from a law firm demanding firsthand payment for “damages” on behalf of some copyright holder. Some countries, such equally the The states, have recently proposed
10-year jail sentences
for copyright infringement and/or
While a few torrent clients offer different encryption options, these will non protect you. This is considering media companies run networks of
monitoring nodes, which tin can join torrent swarms and
collect IP addresses and connection information
of the infringing parties. If your torrent client connects with one of these nodes and you’re
using a good torrent VPN, and so your identity could exist compromised.
If a VPN leaks one parcel of data, information technology can expose your identity to tertiary parties, including your internet provider, IP address, and location. Hither is an case of a popular
VPN that leaks data
non safe for torrenting:
Nosotros will embrace the VPNs that nosotros Exercise Non recommend for torrenting further beneath in this guide. Just starting time, allow’s examine the best VPNs for torrenting.
What is the all-time VPN for torrenting?
Based on the latest test results, the best VPN for torrenting is
NordVPN offers the fastest download speeds and high-security applications to keep your data safe with no leaks. NordVPN is currently ranked every bit the fastest VPN we have tested, hitting
speeds of 445 Mbps. It offers the best VPN speeds for torrenting with
stiff security and leak protection features
to go along your real IP address rubber and hidden.
In addition to NordVPN, there are also three other VPN services that fabricated the ‘best VPN for torrenting’ rankings. All iv VPNs recommended in this guide allow torrenting on their servers and meet the following criteria:
- Passed all tests with
institute whatever (no IP address leaks or DNS leaks)
- Established VPN with a
expert track record
VPN protocols and
- Located in a
practiced privacy jurisdiction
(outside of Five Eyes countries)
- Fast and
for torrenting large files
So without further delay, here are the best VPNs for torrenting:
1. NordVPN – Best VPN for torrenting (fastest speeds and best features)
|Logs||No logs (audited)|
|Support||24/7 live chat|
NordVPN is currently the best VPN for torrenting and tops our list. It does exceptionally well in the areas of
security. NordVPN is a Panama-based VPN provider with a strict no logs policy. It is ane of the few VPNs that has undergone (and passed)
independent tertiary-party audits:
- NordVPN passed ii carve up
that confirmed NordVPN’s no-logs policy and information protection measures.
- NordVPN passed an contained
conducted by Versprite. Additionally, they take partnered with Versprite to bear ongoing audits and penetration testing, while as well launching a public bug bounty program.
Recent speed tests confirmed that NordVPN offers
throughout the server network. NordVPN is ane of the few services with fullWireGuard VPN support built straight into their VPN apps. This offers the highest security and fastest speeds. NordVPN consistently beats out other leading VPNs, as seen in the PIA vs NordVPN report.
NordVPN runs a very
60 countries. All servers run in RAM-disk mode (without hard drives), which makes it impossible to shop any information on the server. Additionally, NordVPN is currently rolling out
colocated (self-endemic) servers
bandwidth channels to evangelize the fastest speeds.
The most secure torrenting VPN that is loaded with features
Subscription plans come with
six simultaneous connections, unlimited bandwidth, and
no restrictions on torrenting. Their network also includes a large selection of
dedicated P2P servers
that are optimized for torrenting. The NordVPN apps (below) that we tested for the review performed very well without any issues.
NordVPN also stands out from the oversupply with the
privacy and security features
it offers. These include:
Double VPN servers
that encrypt traffic over 2 separate locations and add an actress layer of security. (Meet the double-VPN server speed comparing in our NordVPN vs ProtonVPN report.)
that encrypt traffic with the Tor network, in addition to the VPN server.
that volition get through VPN blocks past concealing VPN traffic as regular HTTPS encryption. (This is useful if you lot demand a VPN for China or other restricted network areas.)
that incorporate built-in leak protection (kill switch) to secure all data.
to block ads, tracking, malware, and phishing domains.
The CyberSec feature is peculiarly useful considering it not only improves security and privacy, it too ways pages will load faster with ads and trackers blocked. It’s also important to annotation that NordVPN is 1 of the best VPNs for Netflix, offering full support for fifteen+ regional libraries. NordVPN works with BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Disney Plus, and more than.
Whether you are using NordVPN for torrenting, accessing Netflix, or just basic cyberspace browsing, information technology remains a nifty all-around choice at a very affordable price.
- User-friendly and reliable apps
- Double-VPN and Tor-over-VPN servers
- No logs (audited twice)
- Potent encryption standards with full back up for WireGuard
- Works with Netflix and many other streaming services
- CyberSec feature to block ads, trackers, and malware domains
- 24/7 live chat back up
- Dedicated RAM-servers with 10 Gbps bandwidth channels
- Big discounts only available with long-term subscriptions
You tin can read the NordVPN review for detailed test results.
2. Surfshark – Fast, secure, and reliable VPN for torrents
|Based in||The Netherlands|
|Support||24/7 live chat|
Another i of the best VPNs for torrenting is Surfshark. Despite existence relatively new (launched 2018), Surfshark impressed us with premium features, neat speeds, and a polished feel. It does not restrict torrenting and has 3,200+ servers in 65 countries to choose from. Both Surfshark and NordVPN run
all servers in RAM-deejay
mode for extra information security.
Surfshark likewise supports the
VPN protocol in all apps, giving it excellent performance and security. In our speed tests for the Surfshark review, we were able to get nearly 400 Mbps using WireGuard. Surfshark also supports the OpenVPN and IPSec/IKEv2 protocols with an AES 256 zippo. All Surfshark apps have a
kill switch to prevent any data leaks.
And while this is a great VPN for torrenting, Surfshark also has many other privacy and security features. These features include a VPN ad blocker (CleanWeb) characteristic, double-VPN servers, and a split tunneling VPN option.
Using Surfshark VPN with a torrent client
1 of the all-time aspects of Surfshark is that it gives you lot
with your subscription, while most VPNs let five or half dozen. They support all major operating systems and devices, as well every bit gaming systems, routers, Smart TVs, and more. Below is the Surfshark Windows VPN app we tested:
To apply Surfshark VPN for torrents and filesharing, we recommend following these steps:
- Go into the VPN app settings and make certain the
impale switch is enabled
to protect all traffic in example the VPN connection drops.
- Enable the
VPN protocol to get the fastest speeds.
Connect to a nearby VPN server
(closest to your location) to minimize latency.
- Open your torrent client and
as normal with your VPN running in the groundwork.
At only $two.49 per month, Surfshark is among the best inexpensive VPN services on the marketplace. Despite the low cost, it remains an excellent VPN for almost all uses. Surfshark officially supports 20+ different Netflix libraries and likewise offers an Amazon app if y’all need a VPN for Burn down TV and Firestick.
Surfshark is based in the British Virgin Islands and has a strict no logs policy. This is an splendid accommodating VPN for torrenting and many other use cases.
- Unlimited connections
- User-friendly apps for all devices and operating systems
- CleanWeb feature to block ads, trackers, and malware domains
- Works great with Netflix and many other streaming services
- 24/7 live chat back up
- Stiff encryption and leak protection features
- Express support for VPN routers
- No WireGuard back up for Linux (currently in development)
Cheque out our Surfshark review for more info and exam results.
3. ExpressVPN – A secure and reliable VPN for torrents
|Based in||British Virgin Islands|
|Logs||No logs (audited)|
|Support||24/7 live chat|
ExpressVPN is an splendid VPN for torrenting and P2P downloads with the best speeds and highest security standards. ThisBritish Virgin Islands-based provider has a cracking lineup of custom applications and information technology also performed very well in testing for the ExpressVPN review. ExpressVPN offers strong protections for client data with ano logs policy, very secure applications, and a safe, privacy-friendly offshore jurisdiction.
Like NordVPN and Surfshark, ExpressVPN is ane of the few VPNs that has passed a third-party security audit performed by Cure53. Additionally, information technology is a verified no logs VPN service that was audited past PWC and found to be in compliance with its no-logs policies.
Aside from the security aspects, another reward of ExpressVPN is that it offersfast and reliable speeds. With the release of ExpressVPN’due southLightway protocol, ExpressVPN delivers faster speeds and better mobile performance than OpenVPN. Yet, it’s not quite on par with WireGuard, equally we discovered in tests for the NordVPN vs ExpressVPN comparing.
ExpressVPN’s apps too include advanced leak protection settings. This allows you lot to torrent for hours without worrying about IP accost leaks or DNS leaks. TheNetwork Lock (kill switch) feature will automatically block all traffic if the VPN connexion is interrupted for whatsoever reason. Here’s the Windows app we tested:
If you want a fast, secure, and user-friendly VPN service for torrenting, ExpressVPN is definitely worth considering, especially with the coupon beneath.
- User-friendly and secure apps
- Fast speeds throughout the server network
- Split tunneling feature (for Mac OS, Windows, and routers)
- Works with Netflix and most streaming services
- 24/7 live conversation support
- Passed independent third-political party audits for security and no-logs
- Very big server network
- Above-boilerplate prices
- Fewer features than some leading VPNs
For more details, see the ExpressVPN torrenting page or check out our ExpressVPN review.
4. Perfect Privacy – Good VPN for torrenting (merely expensive)
Concluding on our list of torrent VPNs is Perfect Privacy. It offers secure, leak-proof apps, expert speeds, and some advanced features. Their network is comprised entirely ofdedicated, bare-metal servers that provide you with great operation, security, and full IPv6 support. Every server in their network also supports multi-hop VPN bondage andport forwarding, which can be is useful for torrenting.
If y’all are serious virtually security and online anonymity, this
Switzerland-based, no logs VPN service is tough to beat. Another great feature you get with Perfect Privacy is the TrackStop filter, which effectively blocks ads, tracking, and malware/phishing domains at the VPN server level.
Like Surfshark and NordVPN, Perfect Privacy also offers a multi-hop VPN characteristic. This allows yous to “concatenation” upward to four servers in a row, adding more encryption over a unmarried server. They have apps for Windows, Mac OS, Linux, and Android, with support for other operating systems also.
The main drawback is the price at $viii.95 per month. Streaming is also challenging with Perfect Privacy simply because this is not a core characteristic they focus on supporting and are mostly focused on privacy and security features.
- Multi-hop VPN chains, up to 4 servers (self-configurable)
- Zero logs with anunlimited number of connections
- Dedicated bare-metallic servers with full IPv6 back up
- Obfuscation support (Stealth VPN)
- Customizable firewall and port-forwarding options
- TrackStop filter to cake ads, trackers, malware, and more
- Higher price
- Does not work well with streaming sites, such every bit Netflix
- No iOS VPN app
Come across the Perfect Privacy torrenting page here, or read our Perfect Privacy review for detailed exam results.
At present that nosotros take examined the best VPNs for torrenting, let’s examine some VPNs that we do not recommend for torrenting.
VPNs that are NOT recommended for torrenting
For various reasons, these VPNs are Non recommended for torrenting:
– IPVanish is a US VPN provider that was establish to be giving logs to the FBI despite claiming to be a “zero logs” VPN service. Speeds were also below average, as we verified in the recent IPVanish vs NordVPN comparison.
– Like IPVanish, PureVPN was also busted for giving upwards logs to U.s. regime, despite challenge to be a “no logs” service. Nosotros also plant the speeds to be quite ho-hum in our recent PureVPN vs NordVPN tests.
– Despite challenge to be a full VPN, Opera VPN only works for browser and will therefore not encrypt traffic on your operating system with torrent clients.
– I found this VPN to have problems with IPv6 leaks, which will expose your identity while torrenting. VPN Unlimited is besides blocking torrenting traffic in the US, after getting sued by copyright holders.
HMA (HideMyAss) VPN
– Similar IPVanish and PureVPN, HMA provided logs to government for a hacking example.
– As we noted in a higher place, TorGuard was sued in US courts by copyright holders and at present blocks all torrenting traffic on Us servers.
– We plant many bug in our CyberGhost VPN review, including slow speeds, clunky apps, and the inability to access streaming websites. I have besides noticed CyberGhost users lament virtually getting DMCA notices while using this VPN:
Then now let’s move on to some torrenting VPN FAQs (frequently asked questions).
The dangers of not using a skillful VPN for torrents (DMCA notices and fines)
Some people may torrent without using a good VPN for months and non have problems. These lucky few are “flying under the radar” and fugitive the consequences. Keep in mind, though, this is risky business concern.
Given the contempo trends with copyright violations, torrenting without a good VPN is no longer worth the risk. After all, the consequences of copyright infringement can be very serious. Many countries throughout the world are ramping upwardly copyright violations laws and enforcement actions, especially in the US, Canada, Europe, and Commonwealth of australia.
Examples of torrenting and copyright consequences
Hither are a few examples:
– The U.s. is home to the infamousDigital Millennium Copyright Act
(DMCA). For repeat offenders, DMCA penalties for copyright violations include up to
in fines and
in jail. Internet providers in the US are also cancelling service for repeated DMCA violations.
Digital Economy Act
was passed in the Great britain, which raises the maximum prison sentence for copyright infringement to
Commonwealth of australia
– Many torrenting websites accept already been blocked in Australia (only a torrent VPN volition get around these restrictions). Now, industry lawyers will be targeting copyright infringers for damages with fines up to $ii,000 per infringement.
Fines and lawsuits if you don’t apply a practiced VPN for torrenting
We see these trends unfolding in Canada equally well, prompting people to seek out the best VPNs for Canada to repossess their digital privacy. In the realm of torrenting, we also come across some alarming trends up north:
We see these trends throughout Europe besides, peculiarly in Republic of austria, Denmark, and Germany.
In the United States, at that place are even lawsuits where media companies target VPN services for concealing the identity of torrenters. One such example was a lawsuit against LiquidVPN. In another strange example, copyright holders even went subsequently GitHub over Popcorn Time.
So no matter where you are located,
using a good VPN for torrenting
and P2P downloads is now just
basic digital self-defence force. In other words, ameliorate safe than sorry.
Disclaimer: Nosotros are writing for a global audience. Check your local laws and regulations to verify what is legal in your own corresponding jurisdiction.
Your torrent activity is being tracked and published online
Y’all should as well know that without a VPN hiding your identity and IP address, you lot can exist easily tracked, monitored, and recorded online.
Even worse, random groups are now creating giant databases of torrenting activity, which is linked upward with IP address, available for
to encounter. Ane example is the website I Know What You Download. This site publishes all torrents under the user’southward IP address. This information is logged, published online, and
available for everyone to see:
This one website teaches us a very important lesson.
Your activities online are not private when your IP address is exposed
Thanks to websites such as these, it is easier than ever for
copyright attorneys and media companies to target you. If you are using a practiced VPN for torrenting, the almost any media company could practise is become later on your overseas VPN provider, but they wouldn’t take whatever luck. An overseas VPN service does not need to abide past American or Canadian copyright laws.
Is torrenting with a VPN safe?
If yous are using a good VPN service that effectively secures your connection, so
torrenting with a VPN is indeed safety. In fact, it is much safer than torrenting without a VPN service. Of class, we don’t recommend torrenting copyrighted material, merely since this is often a grey expanse, it’s
better to exist safety than deplorable.
A good torrent VPN service offers many advantages when you lot are torrenting:
- Hides your real IP address and geographic location
- Adds an extra level of security past encrypting your cyberspace connection (on all your devices)
- Prevents your internet service provider (Internet access provider), corporations, governments, and other third parties from spying on your online activities
- Allows you to access blocked content that’south restricted to certain geographic locations
- Protects you when torrenting or streaming from unofficial sources
If you desire coating protection for all devices on your network, you may also want to consider using a VPN router. This allows you to protect everything on the network without having to install VPN software on each device.
What is the best costless VPN for torrenting?
The problem with using a free VPN for torrenting is that gratis VPNs are notoriously dangerous.
There are a lot of free VPN services available right now, but gratis VPNs are risky and normally collect the user’s data, which is sold to third parties. Free VPNs are likewise regularly in the news for unscrupulous activities. Hither are a few of the dangers when using a complimentary VPN for torrenting:
– If y’all are torrenting with a free VPN you lot should know that your IP accost is likely being leaked. Ane in-depth written report found that 84% of free VPN apps will
leak your IP address.
– Costless VPNs often included hidden tracking libraries. 1 example of this is Betternet.
– Many free VPNs include hidden malware to collect your data. This study found that nearly forty% of free VPNs tested positive for malware.
– Some free VPNs volition even steal your bandwidth, which will so exist resold to third parties (see Hola VPN, for example).
free VPNs also practice not permit torrenting
on their network. For instance, ProtonVPN has a basic free plan, simply all torrenting activeness is blocked.
The bottom line here is that using a gratis VPN for torrenting is non safe or secure. If y’all are looking to save money, then NordVPN or Surfshark would be two peachy options, both under $four per month.
Determination: Use a good torrent VPN in 2022
Virtually people are now using a VPN for torrenting simply to protect themselves against copyright infringement penalties. Just aside from copyright issues, there are many other alarming trends, which farther highlight the importance of a good VPN service:
- Net service providers (ISPs) in many countries are now legally allowed to record your activities and hand this data over to third parties. These third parties may include advertising companies, corporate partners, and/or government authorities.
- Many ISPs are
cancelling internet service
for repeated copyright violations (this is common in the US).
- Governments and ISPs are actively
blocking torrent websites, such as The Pirate Bay and 1337x, throughout the globe. This is unfolding in Australia, the Great britain, and parts of Europe.
- Websites are now
all torrent activity associated with your IP address, which can be viewed past anyone and used to prosecute and fine you for copyright violations.
The tendency is clear. Exist smart and use a skillful VPN whenever you lot go online.
Torrent VPN Comparison Table
Every bit a brief recap, here are the best VPNs for torrenting with fast speeds and secure apps to keep your information safe:
This guide on the best VPNs for torrenting was last updated on March 22, 2022 with new information and test results.
Originally posted 2022-03-30 21:04:54.